So you've picked up (or downloaded) Neverwinter and are eager to play, yeah? Well hold on there, buckaroo, I've got a few tips to make your game much more enjoyable (or at least, not come off as an asshole to other players).
1. As Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson said, "Know your role". If you decide to roll a healer, understand that you are a.... well, healer! You are responsible for making sure people stay topped up on health and don't die, a vital role.
DO'S of a Healer:
- Heal people, that's your number one job
- Buff people, boosted attack, defense, etc
- Remove debuffs, poison, slow, etc
- Use Sun Burst to scatter enemies when you or a non-Tank character are taking damage
DON'TS of a Healer:
- Play as a DPS ((Damage Per Second, they deal the most damage) unless everyone is topped up and doing fine)
- Run ahead of your Tank,
- Use Sun Burst when the Tank has aggro/hate on a Mob (group of enemies)
DO'S of a DPS:
- Beat the shit out of things
- Preferably, attack the same target as the Tank
DON'TS of a DPS:
- Run ahead of your Tank
- Pull the entire room, unless the Tank and Healer are fine with it
DO'S of a Tank:
- Grab adds (additional enemies, usually at a boss fight) when they spawn
- Hold aggro/hate
DON'TS of a Tank:
- Ignore adds, they WILL wreck your Healer
These are a few jobs each role has, you should learn yours and perform them. Failing to do so has a good chance of getting you removed from the dungeon, and that's no fun.
2. Don't pick up loot during combat. To be more precise, green or rarer loot, it has to be roled on, and to do so, an annoying pop up.... well, POPS UP. This is very annoying when in the middle of a fight, god help you if it's a boss fight. It won't get you kicked, but it is VERY annoying.
3. Don't be Needy, be Greedy. When you are in a group, you must role for rare loot, but there are three options, "Need", "Greed", and "Pass". I won't explain the last, it should be obvious, but "Need" and Greed" are important, and knowing when t pick one is also important.
"Need" means, "I NEED this, it's better than what I have."
"Greed" means, "I'd like this, I can use it for another character." Or if it's an "Unidentified Item, "This might be better than what I have, so I might need it."
You should really only pick "Need" if your character you're playing as can use it, not an alt.
4. Don't be a douche. Send an invite and get denied? Move on. Don't keep inviting, they aren't interested. Continually pestering someone will get you reported. Don't be a douche.
Don't spam chat with stupid crap. Don't be a douche.
Don't name your character "Big Wang". Don't be a douche.
These are 4 easy ways to be liked in the game, very easy guidelines.
Just don't be shocked when you discover no one actually DOES any of this. :)